Associate/Senior Associate - Transactional Construction - Oxford
|Discipline:||Corporate & commercial|
|Contact name:||Aimee Kaja|
|Contact phone:||0161 2348727|
|Closing date:||31 March 2023|
We are looking for a talented transactional construction solicitor to join our market-leading national construction practice. This is a fantastic opportunity for you to advance your career at a top-ranked firm, and to support a highly regarded partner in spearheading growth from our new office in Oxford.
You will have the chance to work on complex and innovative projects, with everyone involved in the construction and engineering industry across the private and public sectors. Our diverse client base includes central government departments, world leading universities, life sciences developers and institutional investors.
The role will be based in our Oxford office, which opened last year and is growing fast. You will be integral to our strategy for the Thames Valley region and will be involved in cross-regional and national projects, with a focus on the ‘Golden Triangle’ of London, Oxford, and Cambridge).
You will have the opportunity to work with all of the major industry forms combined with an innovative use of AI technology to help with bespoke drafting. Current focusses include MMC and ESG, with emphasis on how the construction and engineering industry can help achieve the nation’s net zero targets.
You will enjoy working as part of a great team with excellent support from our executive assistants and regular training and updates from our construction team in-house senior legal advisor, Alison Garrett. You will also play a role in our business development activities – including helping with our construction blogs (Blog | Construction | Mills & Reeve (mills-reeve.com) , training seminars (in person and on-line) and thought leadership reports [(Building towards net zero | Mills & Reeve (mills-reeve.com)]((Building towards net zero | Mills & Reeve (mills-reeve.com)) .
As a team (and a firm), we pride ourselves on outstanding client service and the delivery of commercial and cost-effective advice. You will play a key role in this, including scoping and agreeing the cost of any matter and ensuring it is delivered on time and on budget.
With supervision as appropriate, you will be given the opportunity to help with all of the work of the team, including:
- Drafting amendments to the standard forms including the JCT and NEC suites
- Advising on construction obligations in property documents
- Bespoke drafting of consultant appointments, collateral warranties, parent company guarantees, bonds and other documents
- Negotiating with all of the other parties in a particular project
- Reviewing or drafting sub-contracts and collateral warranties from sub-contractors and sub-consultants
- Bespoke drafting of other forms, including purchase orders and vesting agreements
- Assisting with corporate, real estate and funding due diligence
- Drafting advice reports to clients
- Leading on post-completion matters
- Legal research
- Assisting our clients’ in-house legal teams
You will be 1+ PQE and likely to have experience in construction work gained during training and post qualification, though we may be willing to work with someone who would like to re-train in this area.
Skills and attributes needed
- Degree educated, or equivalent
- Excellent written English
- Attention to detail
- Ability to build relationships with clients and potential clients
- Good research skills
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills, including ability to work with others
- Strong IT skills and literacy, including good knowledge of MS Office
- Ability to work under pressure with good time and paper management skills
- Enthusiastic and hard-working
- Flexible in approach
- Experience of providing quality client care
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to assess your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check and security clearance
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (to check for any previous criminal convictions and cautions) and, given the nature of the work-type, you may also be required to undergo national security vetting to SC level – the latter can be undertaken following commencement of employment.
Mills & Reeve is committed to building a diverse workforce and fostering an inclusive environment in which all our people can thrive. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our firm stronger, and we have a collaborative culture that celebrates different perspectives and values respect for one another, working together, and openness and integrity. Our approach to flexible working means that we work in a way that achieves the right balance for our people, our clients and for our business.
- Principal Associate - Corporate - Manchester
Job location: United Kingdom
What does the role involve? We need an experie...
- Associate - Insurance Disputes - Birmingham
Job location: United Kingdom
The role We have a fantastic opportunity for a...
- Executive Assistant - Norwich
Job location: Norwich
The role Executive Assistant roles are based wi...