|Contact name:||Ben Porter|
|Closing date:||24 March 2023|
A full time, permanent opportunity based in Birmingham.
Alongside the Sustainability manager and Head of ESG, you will help to develop innovative activities that will support the firm’s sustainability strategy. You will have the opportunities to help shape as well as deliver our wider ESG activity and ultimately the firm’s strategic aims.
You will also support the DIW Manager to achieve the commitments set out in the DIW strategy, developing good relationships with colleagues across the business, furthering the work of the employee Networks and adhering to external benchmarks and other frameworks and/or charters. You will also be responsible for driving the firms pro-bono and volunteering initiatives.
The role will have project management elements and the successful candidate will be expected to manage several ESG projects across the firm’s operations with a firm focus on innovation and client experience. The role will also need to maintain a number of communications channels internally and externally including various sharepoint sites and the Talking ESG podcast.
The ESG Advisor will be able to evidence the following skills, knowledge, and experience:
- A relevant degree or sustainability qualification
- A real interest in, and a passion for, the ESG agenda and all its’ components
- Proven experience in project, process, or business management
- Previous experience of working in a client-facing environment
- Can clearly articulate the importance of the ESG agenda internally and externally
- Excellent IT and inter-personal skills
- Understanding the needs of underrepresented communities and a commitment to making their voices heard
In addition, the role requires the attributes:
- Achievement orientated – a desire to get things done by exercising influence and gaining the buy in of others
- Conscientious – self disciplined and organised
- Self motivated – able to demonstrate determination and persistence
- Analytical – a clear thinker, removes confusion, provides clarity and focus
- Collaborative – works effectively as part of a team and involves others in developing solutions
- Curious learner – open mind set to learn new skills
- Good levels of credibility, with excellent people and communication skills
- An ability to build relationships effortlessly with transparent, inclusive and open communication style – challenging the status quo, but not confrontational
- Is personable, approachable, and able to communicate at all levels across the firm
- A clear sense of direction
- An understanding of the need to listen to the views of our clients and all our people
- Can assimilate complex information quickly and explain it concisely
- Has excellent attention to detail and exceptional written and oral communication skills
Key activities that the ESG Advisor will undertake include the following:
- Support on the development of the firm ESG strategy, including steps to carbon net zero
- Manage projects relating to the furthering of the ESG strategy that affect both internal clients as well as external clients
- Generate awareness internally of the work done to support our ESG commitments and what colleagues can do on an individual basis
- Develop a network of “champions” groups to support in their work to promote ESG across the firm
- Work with our ESG data analyst to produce ESG related data for audits, supplier / client requests, bids or any other required instance
- Management of the ESG committee and sustainability steering group
- Develop innovative ways to tackle ESG issues, spread information and meet our ESG commitments
- Work closely with Procurement to maintain and enhance the ESG element of the procurement process
- Take necessary courses and qualifications to stay up to date with and enhance your own knowledge of ESG issues and their commercial impact
- Support our communications team to develop a regular and engaging programme of internal communications including newsletter, events and maintaining the sustainability hub
- Hosting, creating and editing the talking ESG podcast
- Gathering ESG related topics to create a regular internal ESG update to enhance knowledge sharing and understanding across the business
- Have oversight of the firms volunteering and pro-bono activity – engaging with staff networks and DW&I team to source and promote opportunities
- Use plain English in all communications and ensure information is presented in a clear, logical and structured way
- Use the appropriate form of communication, for example emails, telephone calls or face-to-face conversations
- Ensure the appropriate forum is used for discussions
- Actively help others and seek assistance when required. Request work when capacity allows
- Be aware of others’ workloads and priorities in the team
- Be proactive and think ahead
- Attend, and contribute to, team meetings
- Understand your role and responsibilities and recognise those of others
- Be flexible and willing to go the extra mile when necessary to ensure work is completed on time
- Actively listen and ask questions for clarity
- Promote the firm’s project management toolkit and best practice
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of project management best practice within the firm
- Work with your team and peers and continuously develop effective ways of working within the business
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to access your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
The Mills & Reeve Business Services career structure
We have a firm wide Business Services career structure and a published career progression framework. Within the firm wide career structure there are five career levels. For the purposes of the framework, this role is at an [level] level and the role profile that details the outcomes and activities expected of across the firm is included with this job description. Further information on the firm’s Business Services career structure is available from the HR team.
As you would expect, the firm offers a generous salary and benefits. The firm’s standard benefits are detailed in the following link:
What really sets Mills & Reeve apart from other law firms is the way we work with our clients. We understand that clients, in the 21st century, no longer want a traditional law firm – they want one that embraces forward thinking approaches to service, billing, commercial know-how, innovation, people management and community engagement.
Why not find out more about what it’s like to work at Mills & Reeve by taking two minutes to watch our video?
Mills & Reeve is committed to providing an inclusive and supportive working environment. We are happy to consider flexible working arrangements and endeavour to achieve the right balance for both our people and the business. This attitude to flexible working ensures we continue to provide outstanding service to our clients, whilst allowing our people to develop their careers in the knowledge that personal priorities will remain just that.
Mills & Reeve is committed to promoting equality, diversity and to providing an inclusive and supportive environment. Please click the link below to find further information regarding our diversity policy.
If you would like any more information about Mills & Reeve, you can visit our website by clicking on the following link:
- Principal Associate - Corporate - Manchester
Job location: United Kingdom
What does the role involve? We need an experie...
- Associate - Insurance Disputes - Birmingham
Job location: United Kingdom
The role We have a fantastic opportunity for a...
- Executive Assistant - Norwich
Job location: Norwich
The role Executive Assistant roles are based wi...