Birmingham, Full Time, Permanent
This role is to provide a full helpdesk and IT support service to all staff, primarily focusing on the staff in the Birmingham Office but also providing remote support to staff in Norwich, Cambridge, London, Manchester and Leeds Offices.
Given the challenges of this role, it is likely that your background and experience will show:
- Prior experience of working in an IT Helpdesk environment
- You have some awareness of data networking, patching, audio / visual systems
- You are familiar with workings of laptops, PC hardware, MFD’s
The role additionally requires someone who:
- is self-managed and confident in setting and prioritising their own work agenda. Meeting targets and fulfilling agreements even when adverse circumstances prevail
- is able to work independently, often on-site on their own, having frequent catch-ups with their line manager over Microsoft Teams
- is willing to travel to other sites, should the need arise
- is willing to work out of hours, sometimes on-site
- has excellent written as well as verbal communication skills and so is able to demonstrate that they can convey complex matters in a way that different audiences can understand
- is confident and able to build sustainable relationships with clients, lawyers and internal colleagues
- is organised and methodical in how they approach their work
- has excellent attention to detail. Understanding and keeping the user’s needs continually in mind when taking actions or making decisions
- is a team player
- is willing to take on new responsibilities and challenges
- Carries out all routine tasks associated with operating and controlling the installed hardware and software including general maintenance, unpacking, installing, cleaning and testing of hardware. This may include multiple hardware and software platforms
- Carries out required monitoring, logging and reporting tasks, taking action on known or moderately complex problems and advising supervisor when specialist attention is required
- Accepts data, media consumables and other items required for the processing of work, and takes responsibility for the movement, storage and despatch of such items as required
- Assists with asset management, including the unpacking of equipment, disposal of packaging, secure data destruction, and generally keeping the IT areas clear and tidy
- Responds to enquiries from users and others and takes appropriate action within defined limits of responsibility to deal with processing of priorities, running tests or facilitating and overseeing installation, removal, upgrading and repair of equipment
- Instructs less experienced colleagues in the execution of routine tasks, particularly those tasks or procedures that relate to malfunction, safety and security ensuring that all clerical and administrative procedures are completed correctly
- Assisting in the support and maintenance of the firm’s core IT infrastructure, including PCs and their operating systems, office and inter-office data networks, external/Internet network connections, and telephone systems
- Assisting in the maintenance of the firm’s application software systems including the Microsoft Office suite, Practice Management System, Interaction CRM system, M&R Desktop, Interwoven Worksite document management system etc
- Configuration of directories and user distribution lists
- Assisting the IT Services Manager with the installation (or modification to) computer hardware, peripherals, cabling and software
- Answering the telephone promptly in a helpful and friendly manner, to ensure that user queries are answered, or that messages are taken and transmitted them to the appropriate person
- Assisting with the set-up of meeting room AV / presentation systems and working with our facilities teams to ensure meetings run smoothly
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to assess your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
The Mills & Reeve Business Services career structure
We have a firm wide Business Services career structure and a published career progression framework. Within the firm wide career structure there are five career levels. For the purposes of the framework, this role is at an Assistant level and the role profile that details the outcomes and activities expected of across the firm is included with this job description. Further information on the firm’s Business Services career structure is available from the HR team.
What really sets Mills & Reeve apart from other law firms is the way we work with our clients. We understand that clients, in the 21st century, no longer want a traditional law firm – they want one that embraces forward thinking approaches to service, billing, commercial know-how, innovation, people management and community engagement.
Mills & Reeve is committed to providing an inclusive and supportive working environment. We are happy to consider flexible working arrangements and endeavour to achieve the right balance for both our people and the business. This attitude to flexible working ensures we continue to provide outstanding service to our clients, whilst allowing our people to develop their careers in the knowledge that personal priorities will remain just that.
Mills & Reeve is committed to promoting equality, diversity and to providing an inclusive and supportive environment. Please click here to find further information regarding our diversity policy.
Please visit our website for further information about Mills & Reeve.
- HR Business Partner - 12 Month FTC
Job location: United Kingdom
Full time, 12-month fixed term contract – Mater...
- Associate/Senior Associate - Life Sciences - Cambridge
Job location: United Kingdom
What does the role involve? We are looking for ...
- Legal Team PA (Real Estate) - Cambridge
Job location: Cambridge
The role Executive Assistant roles are based wi...