Paralegal - Private Client
|Contact name:||Ben Porter|
|Closing date:||21 April 2023|
Private Client, Manchester, Permanent
We need a paralegal to join our Manchester based Private Client Team. The work will be a mixture of document production, in particular of wills and trusts, and administrative fee earning work in connection with estate administration.
You will have good written English, be able to prioritise work effectively to work under pressure and meet deadlines. You will have excellent attention to detail and team working skills, be keen, enthusiastic and willing to take on challenges. Ideally, you will have some experience in private client work, however, full training will be provided for the role and this will consist of training through courses and on the job training.
What skills and attributes would I need?
- Strong IT keyboard skills
- Good written English
- Excellent attention to detail
- A strong grasp of numbers and experience working with and manipulating data in Excel or similar
- Ability to build strong working relationships with a range of people
- Good team player
- A clear and sympathetic telephone matter
- Ability to work productively under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritise work effectively
- Keen, enthusiastic and willing to take on challenges
- A key aspect of the role will be assisting probate practitioners with the running of their files, including in particular the analysis of information relating to assets and liabilities and inputting that information on our case management systems to produce probate papers and estate accounts. You may be asked to assist with information gathering or chasing including writing to or calling organisations such as banks, investment managers, estate agents, HM Revenue & Customs and the probate court
- You will also be preparing legal documents based on instructions taken by solicitors in the team. To do so you will need to use precedents and our case management systems. This might include Wills, codicils and notices of severance and drafting trusts and related deeds and documents to exercise the trustees’ powers and lasting powers of attorney. Many of these documents will necessitate the additional production of explanatory notes, letters of wishes and covering letters
- You may need to attend client meetings (electronically or in person, depending on government guidelines) to take notes and prepare an attendance note following the meeting. You may be asked to review and organise information prior to those meetings.
- You may be asked to assist with financial management on files, including reviewing estimates and costs billed to date and preparing costs summaries for clients and accompanying correspondence. You may be asked to assist with raising bills and arranging payment
- You may be asked to carry out other fee earning work as requested by the team from time to time
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to access your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check and security clearance
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (to check for any previous criminal convictions) and, given the nature of the work-type, you may also be required to undergo national security vetting to SC level – the latter can be undertaken following commencement of employment.
What really sets Mills & Reeve apart from other law firms is the way we work with our clients. We understand that clients, in the 21st century, no longer want a traditional law firm – they want one that embraces forward thinking approaches to service, billing, commercial know-how, innovation, people management and community engagement.
Why not find out more about what it’s like to work at Mills & Reeve by taking two minutes to watch our video?
Mills & Reeve is committed to providing an inclusive and supportive working environment. We are happy to consider flexible working arrangements and endeavour to achieve the right balance for both our people and the business. This attitude to flexible working ensures we continue to provide outstanding service to our clients, whilst allowing our people to develop their careers in the knowledge that personal priorities will remain just that.
Mills & Reeve is committed to promoting equality, diversity and to providing an inclusive and supportive environment. Please click the link below to find further information regarding our diversity policy.
If you would like any more information about Mills & Reeve, you can visit our website by clicking on the following link:
- Marketing & Research Intern
Job location: Birmingham
Are you a business/marketing/legal graduate loo...
- Administrative Assistant (Leeds)
Job location: Leeds
Leeds, Permanent, Full time The role Administra...
- Associate - Corporate - Birmingham
Job location: United Kingdom
What does the role involve? We need a Corporat...