|Discipline:||Employment Pensions & Immigration|
|Contact name:||Aimee Kelly|
|Contact phone:||01612348727 (5727)|
|Published:||26 days ago|
|Closing date:||10 June 2022|
We are looking for an experienced employment law solicitor to join the NSL in our Birmingham office, ideally at Principal Associate level although strong Senior Associate candidates will also be considered.
You will undertake a broad mix of contentious and non-contentious work for our growing commercial client-base, which include Jaguar Land Rover, Lloyds Pharmacy, Odeon Cinemas, River Island, Interserve, Carlsberg Marston’s, Bidvest Noonan, Topps Tiles, Bloor Homes, Volkswagen Financial Services, Triumph Motorcycles and Simba Sleep.
Our commercial Employment team in Birmingham is growing fast. This is an exciting opportunity to join that team at a senior level, to support further growth and help to develop more junior members of the team.
At this level, you will be expected to perform as follows:
- Deliver outstanding client service to both internal and external clients to encourage client retention and referrals
- Have a sound understanding of clients' legal, commercial and service requirements
- Have effective client relationship and client service skills
- Demonstrate strong business development credentials in terms of growth from existing clients and bringing in new work
- Have strong technical competence and legal knowledge in employment law
- Deliver high quality and commercially focussed advice
- Experience in managing Employment Tribunal litigation
- Deliver training to clients and target clients
- Carry out supervision of junior lawyers
The Birmingham Employment team is part of the cross-office Employment, Pensions and Immigration NSL of 70 lawyers (which is headed by David Mills and supported by two professional support lawyers). There are monthly cross-office NSL training sessions delivered by our professional support lawyers, together with cross-office and sector away days.
In joining the commercial Employment sub-team within the wider Birmingham Employment team (ranked as Band 1 in Chambers & Partners), you will be part of a fast-growing team that continues to develop. You will have the opportunity to work alongside Partners, Richard Santy and Richard Barker, who jointly lead the team, and be part of our exciting growth plans.
You will have 7+ years’ employment experience gained in a reputable firm with a substantive employment law practice.
Skills and attributes
Given the nature of this role, it is likely that your background and experience will include the following:
- Good academics – 2.1 degree or equivalent with good A levels or equivalents
- Clear enthusiasm for employment law
- Excellent written drafting skill
- Excellent presentational skills
- Self-starting with common sense and initiative, and ability to work as a team-player working on complex matters
- Very good time and documentation management skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to lead on Employment Tribunal matters and run matters with minimal supervision
- Ability to supervise and assist more junior lawyers
- Ability to build very good relationships with clients, potential clients and multipliers
- Very good research skills, including an ability to use online information sources
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills, including ability to work with others, influence and persuade
- Keen interest in developing client training skills
- High level of IT skills
- Marketing and business development skills
- Experience of Employment Tribunal advocacy;
- A passion for developing others; and
- A track record of building a network of contacts with clients and other multipliers (such as participation in an ongoing network or group).
What else should I know?
This is an ideal opportunity to build your skills and experience with a major UK law firm, listed as one of the “Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For” for the last 18 years - the only law firm to achieve this. This year we were named as Roll on Friday’s Firm of the Year. We have also achieved the much sought after Three Star Accreditation and been named as one of 100 Best Mid-Sized Companies to Work For as a result of outstanding levels of staff engagement and the firm’s commitment to creating a positive working environment for all employees.
Mills & Reeve is a major UK law firm renowned for its outstanding service to national and international clients, for its collaborative culture and for its deep sector expertise.
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to assess your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check and security clearance
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (to check for any previous criminal convictions) and, given the nature of the work-type, you may also be required to undergo national security vetting to SC level – the latter can be undertaken following commencement of employment.
Mills & Reeve is committed to building a diverse workforce and fostering an inclusive environment in which all our people can thrive. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our firm stronger, and we have a collaborative culture that celebrates different perspectives and values respect for one another, working together, and openness and integrity. Our approach to flexible working means that we work in a way that achieves the right balance for our people, our clients and for our business.
- Administrative Assistant - Commercial - Manchester
Job location: Manchester
Manchester, Permanent, Full time The role Admin...
- Associate - Employment - Leeds
Job location: Leeds
The role We are looking for an employment law s...
- Executive Assistant - Insurance - Manchester
Job location: Manchester
The role Executive Assistant roles are based wi...