|Office:||Oxford Norwich London Leeds Manchester Cambridge Birmingham|
|Contact name:||Himpal Bains|
|Contact email:||[email protected]|
|Contact phone:||0121 456 8003|
|Closing date:||26 November 2023|
|Startdate:||01 November 2023 - 01 November 2023|
What does the role involve?
We are looking for a qualified solicitor to join our growing team of Real Estate (RE) professional support lawyers (PSL). Our RE PSL team comprises two knowledge PSLs, a professional development PSL and an innovation PSL. Our knowledge PSLs are responsible for providing technical legal support to our RE lawyers and clients, through the provision of internal and external training, updates and briefings, technical advice and supervision, and the management of know-how. We are looking for a new knowledge PSL to join the RE PSL team.
Key deliverables of the role include:
- Creating, managing and updating precedents and other critical know-how
- Arranging and presenting legal updates and training sessions, both internally to our RE lawyers and externally to our RE clients
- Advising and supervising our RE lawyers on technical legal queries
- Creating and promoting knowledge content for our website
- Working and liaising with the present PSL team.
The role is a national one. You can choose to be based in any of our seven offices, but occasional travel between offices will be required.
This should be read in conjunction with the generic role profile which details the main responsibilities of all our Professional Support Lawyers (PSLs).
What are the working hours?
We are open to discuss the number of hours committed per week and there is flexibility as to how that is delivered.
Who will I be working with?
You will sit within the existing RE PSL team, reporting to Caroline Hanratty, the RE Know-how Partner. You will work closely with the partners and lawyers in RE and other PSLs across the firm. You will also work with the firmwide Knowledge, Learning & Development team to ensure the work of the RE PSLs is aligned and co-ordinated with the firm’s strategy.
Why should I apply?
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an expanding, forward-thinking, flexible RE PSL team, who are finding innovative ways to deliver and to define the knowledge function, and who sit within an ambitious and growing Real Estate practice.
Main duties and responsibilities
You will be responsible for:
- creating and maintaining key precedent and guidance documents and details of relevant precedent resources
- providing/organising internal training sessions and updates to lawyers
- delivering/organising bespoke client training and knowledge resources
- answering ad-hoc queries and providing advice to lawyers within the firm, and at times supporting lawyers in their client work
- providing induction training for trainees, and training for lawyers throughout their careers
- researching developments in law and policy relevant to the RE practice area and sector, writing briefings, practice notes and guidance
- briefing lawyers on developments in law and to assist with their business development and client care responsibilities
- collaborating with other professional support lawyers; and
- liaising with members of the Knowledge, Learning and Development Team as part of the overall professional support available to the firm’s lawyers in the RE practice.
What experience is required?
You will be an RE lawyer with a minimum of 5 years’ post qualification experience. We are open to applications from existing PSLs and from fee earners who are looking to move into a PSL role. We will consider candidates with expertise in either commercial or residential property (or both). Experience of property development work is desirable, although not required.
What skills and attributes do I need?
- Strong legal technical ability, with a keen interest in black letter law
- Commercial acumen and the ability to analyse how legal changes will affect the RE market and our RE clients
- Commitment to thought leadership and to the creation and maintenance of a strong knowledge function
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a track record of presenting on legal technical issues to colleagues and/or clients
- Excellent written English with the ability to produce clear and engaging written materials
- Good IT skills and enthusiasm to develop understanding of new technologies
- Willingness to adapt and learn
What else should I know?
This is an ideal opportunity to build your skills and experience with a major UK law firm, listed as one of the “Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For” for the last 20 years - the only law firm to achieve this. We have also been awarded hold Investors In People Platinum status this year.
Mills & Reeve is a major UK law firm renowned for its outstanding service to national and international clients, for its collaborative culture and for its deep sector expertise.
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to assess your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check and security clearance
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (to check for any previous criminal convictions and cautions) and, given the nature of the work-type, you may also be required to undergo national security vetting to SC level – the latter can be undertaken following commencement of employment.
Mills & Reeve is committed to building a diverse workforce and fostering an inclusive environment in which all our people can thrive. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our firm stronger, and we have a collaborative culture that celebrates different perspectives and values respect for one another, working together, and openness and integrity. Our approach to flexible working means that we work in a way that achieves the right balance for our people, our clients and for our business.
- Business Development Executive
Job location: United Kingdom
A full time, permanent role base in Leeds The r...
- Files and Deeds Assistant
Job location: United Kingdom
A full time, permanent role based in our Cambri...
- Cyber Security Risk Manager
Job location: United Kingdom
Any Location, full time, permanent The role Re...