Facilities Assistant (Apprentice)
Permanent, full time 07:30am-6pm Monday-Friday
What does the role involve?
You will be an integral member of the facilities team supporting the team on a variety of tasks to ensure a comprehensive and high quality facilities service. Hours will vary between 07:30 and 18:00. Individual working hours will be a 7-hour period within this, totalling 35 hours per week.
Who will I be working with?
You will be working as part of the London facilities team and will report into the Assistant Facilities Manager. You will spend your time predominantly providing support to reprographics as well as general duties.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Support the team in carrying out all tasks necessary to provide a full reprographics service to the firm including:
- photocopying documents
- collating documents
- binding documents
- printing documents
- scanning documents (PDF)
- copying and producing CD bibles
- organising external reprographics jobs with our outsourced supplier
- Notify the IT department of any faults with the reprographics equipment and coordinate an engineer visit
- Locate and replace print toners as well as clearing photocopier jams
- Support the team in dealing with internal and external post efficiently and effectively
- Assist with archiving tasks
- Help with meeting room/seminar set ups as per requirements in a timely manner
- Ensure equipment is available, set up correctly working prior to arranged meetings/seminars
- Ensure the office equipment and furniture is usable and arrange repairs or replacement as necessary. Be aware of how to operate the office equipment correctly and know the procedures to follow in the event of faults or damage
- Cover colleagues in periods of absence, both planned and unplanned
- As required, provide efficient reception cover
- Assist line manager in tasks as delegated
- Flexibility to assist with any team task as required
- Report building maintenance issues and areas of damage to your line manager
- Assist staff and partners with all their facilities related enquiries and pass enquiry to another team member if you are unable to assist
Professional conduct & compliance
- Adhere in all respects with the firm’s values of openness and integrity, working together, respect for each other and strong client relationships
- Act in a professional manner at all times
- Where appropriate, wear Mills & Reeve uniform and make sure this is clean and fit for purpose
- In accordance with the confidentiality undertaking that was signed upon joining the firm, keep the affairs of clients, former clients and current Mills & Reeve business confidential
- Report any concerns regarding breach of confidentiality to the appropriate person
- Enter into the spirit of the Mills & Reeve Diversity Policy and ensure that a positive diversity climate exists by treating others on their merits and by disassociating yourself from any form of direct or indirect discrimination, victimisation, or sexual, racial or any other type of harassment
- Comply with anti money laundering requirements. Comply with Mills & Reeve procedures for the safe-keeping of documents
- Act in a professional and courteous manner when dealing with clients (both internal and external) and always project a positive image of Mills & Reeve
- Ensure relevant Mills & Reeve database/records are accurate and up to date on a regular basis
- Have a good knowledge of services provided by Mills & Reeve
- Take responsibility for alerting your line manager regarding difficulties with client care you encounter
- Ensure your availability at all times during contracted hours
- Work effectively with the firm’s support services and treat all your work colleagues with respect
- Understand your own role and responsibilities and recognise those of others
- Share your knowledge and skills with less experienced colleagues including new joiners
- Help colleagues in your team and in other teams to manage workloads and meet deadlines
- Deal constructively with conflict within the team
- Manage emails and telephone calls when colleagues are absent. Ensure internal clients are kept informed with updates
- Contribute constructively at internal meetings
- Commence work punctually each day and have good time keeping
- Be flexible and willing to change working hours to maintain a full facilities service
- Carry out an active role during planned and unplanned fire drills and any emergency situations involving the whole office
- Meet deadlines or liaise with the team leader if a deadline is causing difficulty and provide updated time estimate
- Speak to the team leader about actual and pending workload if problems arise
- Consider options before presenting problems to colleagues
- Request work if you have capacity
- Be courteous and professional to others
- Obtain the necessary information to deal with enquiries, requests, instructions etc
- Identify, give and receive appropriate information during telephone conversations
- Comply with the firm’s internal procedures for leave/holiday and sickness/absence
- Work in a calm and professional manner
- Answer telephone calls in line with the firm’s policy
- Be familiar with the features of the software packages used in your area that will include some or all of the following:
- Outlook (calendar, contacts and tasks)
- Ask for constructive feedback about your performance, consider issues identified and take steps to improve your performance
- Identify the training and development you need to do your job more effectively and to further develop you personally, and raise these during your annual performance review or at other times upon request
- Keep a record/portfolio of your progress and achievement in meeting the responsibilities of the role profile in line with your PDP (Personal Development Plan)
- Take responsibility for your own development and follow up proposals for your training and development where appropriate
The Mills & Reeve business services career structure
We have a firm wide business services career structure and a published career progression framework. Within the firm wide career structure there are five career levels. For the purposes of the framework, this role is at an Assistant level and the role profile that details the outcomes and activities expected across the firm is included with this job description. Further information on the firm’s business services career structure will be made available as part of the interview process.
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to assess your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
What really sets Mills & Reeve apart from other law firms is the way we work with our clients. We understand that clients, in the 21st century, no longer want a traditional law firm – they want one that embraces forward thinking approaches to service, billing, commercial know-how, innovation, people management and community engagement.
Mills & Reeve is committed to providing an inclusive and supportive working environment. We are happy to consider flexible working arrangements and endeavour to achieve the right balance for both our people and the business. This attitude to flexible working ensures we continue to provide outstanding service to our clients, whilst allowing our people to develop their careers in the knowledge that personal priorities will remain just that.
Mills & Reeve is committed to promoting equality, diversity and to providing an inclusive and supportive environment. Please click here to find further information regarding our diversity policy.
If you would like any more information about Mills & Reeve, you can visit our website.
- Finance Assistant/Senior Finance Assistant
Job location: United Kingdom
A full-time permanent role, with hybrid working...
- Associate/ Senior Associate - Real Estate - London
Job location: United Kingdom
The role We are looking for an Associate to joi...
- 2 X Executive Assistants- Norwich - Private Client
Job location: Norwich
The role There are 2 Executive Assistant roles ...