Digital and Knowledge Management Team, Cambridge, Permanent, Full time
We are looking for a Knowledge Manager to join our small but expanding Knowledge Management team. This is a great opportunity to work in an experienced and friendly team with a pivotal role in Mills & Reeve’s fast changing environment, and at a time of exciting change and digital transformation. There will be opportunities for progression, and expansion of the role.
Reporting to the Head of Knowledge Management and Digital you will lead on developing and implementing firm wide knowledge management strategic objectives. This is an exciting opportunity to help shape the Knowledge Management function for the firm and you will be supported by colleagues in the wider Digital and KM team, as well as colleagues in other closely connected teams.
The Knowledge Management team sits within the Digital and Data Business Services function and is largely based in the firm’s Cambridge office. The team supports both legal and business services teams to ensure they have access to the information, knowledge and resources they need to deliver outstanding service to internal and external clients.
The Knowledge Management team works very closely with the other support teams that together include Professional Support Lawyers, Learning and Development, Projects, Legal Tech, Digital & Data and Research & Information. Other key internal relationships will be with fee-earners, and the business development and IT teams.
To be successful in the role you will need first class communication and interpersonal skills and have highly developed organisational skills, sound judgment and excellent attention to detail. You will be able to build credibility and strong relationships with colleagues at all levels of the business.
- You will work effectively within the organisation and understand and promote connections between groups and functions to accomplish the firm’s goals
- You will be self motivated and take a proactive approach towards projects and initiatives, seek direction and advice as needed but be prepared to take ownership and progress tasks and projects independently
- You will be adaptable and flexible, with the ability to work in an environment of change, to work well in a hybrid working environment and be willing to travel to attend key meetings and to build relationships with your and other teams
- You will be able to work under pressure and remain focused and responsive
Given the challenges of this role, it is likely that your background and experience will include:
- Bachelor’s degree (2:1 or above preferred)
- A legal qualification in England & Wales is not essential but would be a distinct advantage
- Experience of project management, and of developing, delivering and coordinating initiatives with stakeholders across multiple functions
- Experience and understanding of Knowledge Management strategy and implementation
- A good understanding of and genuine interest in technology solutions and optimisation of user experiences
- An understanding of the knowledge management technology landscape, and experience working within iManage Work10 / BA Insight / Sysero and/or SharePoint are highly desirable.
- Experience of communicating, negotiating and influencing outcomes at a senior level
- Ability to establish governance models and processes around the capture and dissemination of knowledge
- Understanding and experience of working with legal / other taxonomies
- A demonstrable passion for personal growth and continuous learning and development
The successful candidate will have a particular focus on developing and implementing the firm’s knowledge management strategy and the improvement of knowledge systems solutions.
Key responsibilities include:
- Progressing the firm’s knowledge management vision and strategy and delivering detailed plans to implement the strategy
- Identifying requirements for the firm’s knowledge management system and where necessary working with Digital and IT to implement the solution(s), potentially including selection and integration of technology solutions
- Improving processes and governance for know-how creation, capture, storage and retrieval, and bring efficiencies that will help delivery of outstanding client service
- Promoting and embedding the knowledge management function, facilitating an effective knowledge-sharing culture across the business and communicating the KM strategy to the firm
- Working with Professional Support Lawyers to identify knowledge needs and initiatives and deliver effective knowledge solutions for them and their teams
- Working with IT trainers and others to deliver effective training on the firm’s knowledge systems and best practice for their use
- Assist the Head of Knowledge Management and Digital in ensuring KM initiatives are aligned with the firm’s overall and departmental strategies, and working with them to prioritise initiatives
- Assist with the firm’s efforts to find exciting ways of using knowhow to add value to client relationships
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to access your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
The Mills & Reeve Business Services career structure
We have a firm wide Business Services career structure and a published career progression framework. Within the firm wide career structure there are five career levels. For the purposes of the framework, this role is at a Manager level and the role profile that details the outcomes and activities expected of across the firm is included with this job description. Further information on the firm’s Business Services career structure is available from the HR team.
As you would expect, the firm offers a generous salary and benefits. The firm’s standard benefits are detailed in the following link:
What really sets Mills & Reeve apart from other law firms is the way we work with our clients. We understand that clients, in the 21st century, no longer want a traditional law firm – they want one that embraces forward thinking approaches to service, billing, commercial know-how, innovation, people management and community engagement.
Mills & Reeve is committed to providing an inclusive and supportive working environment. We are happy to consider flexible working arrangements and endeavour to achieve the right balance for both our people and the business. This attitude to flexible working ensures we continue to provide outstanding service to our clients, whilst allowing our people to develop their careers in the knowledge that personal priorities will remain just that.
Mills & Reeve is committed to promoting equality, diversity and to providing an inclusive and supportive environment. Please click the link below to find further information regarding our diversity policy.
If you would like any more information about Mills & Reeve, you can visit our website by clicking on the following link:
- Associate/ Senior Associate - Real Estate - London
Job location: United Kingdom
The role We are looking for an Associate to joi...
- 2 X Executive Assistants- Norwich - Private Client
Job location: Norwich
The role There are 2 Executive Assistant roles ...
- Executive Assistant - 12 Month FTC
Job location: London
The role Executive Assistant roles are based wi...