Principal Associate - Technology/Data Protection - Birmingham
|Discipline:||Corporate & commercial|
|Contact name:||Aimee Kaja|
|Contact phone:||0161 234 8727|
|Closing date:||18 August 2023|
|Startdate:||11 July 2022 - 11 July 2022|
What does the role involve?
We have an exciting opportunity for 2 technology lawyers (Senior Associate and Principal Associate) to join our national Technology and Data Protection division as it continues to grow, as part of our Birmingham office.
You will deliver high quality work for leading clients across a range of industry sectors, alongside an exceptional team. Work will include advising a range of clients from innovative start-ups to global corporates, on IT, E-commerce, Data Protection and Commercial arrangements.
We advise on the full range of technology law work, including Cloud/SaaS, Cyber, Software Development, Outsourcing, Data Protection Compliance Projects. Our projects also include ‘cutting edge’ technology law work – as can be seen from recent examples:
- Advising a leading automotive company on its global Connected Car project
- A global Data Protection compliance project involving a new Crypto-Exchange and Crypto-Currency using Blockchain technology
- Advising a NASDAQ listed company on the Data Protection implications of the deployment of facial recognition systems using neural network AI technology
- Advising a NYSE listed company on a Cyber-breach
What experience is required?
You should have at least 8+ years post qualification experience.
You will have a good understanding of technology law (IT/Data Protection law). You will be enthusiastic and pragmatic in your approach to delivering legal advice to clients. In return, you will have the opportunity and freedom to develop relationships with clients, whilst also being involved in a range of business development and other initiatives.
The role will provide plenty of opportunity for your career to grow and develop, supported by an ambitious and progressive law firm.
What skills and attributes would I need?
- Able to demonstrate your interest in technology law (IT/Data Protection or both)
- Good academics
- Excellent attention to detail, drafting and negotiating skills
- Good organisational skills to help you manage clients’ needs and timelines
- Have a pro-active approach to work
- Show a willingness to learn and develop your own skillset
- Enthusiastic about being involved in business development initiatives
- Strong team working approach whilst possessing a keen sense of humour
Who will I be working with?
You will work closely alongside Partner, Jagvinder Singh Kang, who is the firm’s International and UK Head of IT Law. Jagvinder is recognised in Legal 500’s official “Hall of Fame” for technology law work, and has been consistently recognised as a leading technology lawyer for well over a decade by both Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners. In addition, you will work with our other fantastic technology law partners and national team.
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to assess your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check and security clearance
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (to check for any previous criminal convictions and cautions) and, given the nature of the work-type, you may also be required to undergo national security vetting to SC level – the latter can be undertaken following commencement of employment.
Mills & Reeve is committed to building a diverse workforce and fostering an inclusive environment in which all our people can thrive. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our firm stronger, and we have a collaborative culture that celebrates different perspectives and values respect for one another, working together, and openness and integrity. Our approach to flexible working means that we work in a way that achieves the right balance for our people, our clients and for our business.
- Administrative Assistant (Leeds)
Job location: Leeds
Leeds, Permanent, Full time The role Administra...
- Associate - Corporate - Birmingham
Job location: United Kingdom
What does the role involve? We need a Corporat...
- Recruitment Administrator
Job location: United Kingdom
The roleReporting to the Senior Recruitment Man...