We are looking for a solicitor to work as part of our award-winning healthcare team alongside Jill Mason and Neil Ward, Partners. We are flexible in terms of the Mills & Reeve office location for the successful candidate. You will be responsible for dealing with a wide range of patient matters and public law work (these are often life and death matters and/or headline news either locally or nationally).
The broad range of work will include complex issues covering:
- Mental Capacity Act 2005, Best Interests and Court of Protection welfare cases
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- Mental Health Act
- Applications under inherent jurisdiction of High Court
- NHS Continuing Care/Responsible Commissioner issues
- Priorities/exceptional funding
- Incident investigation
- Care Act
Although you would not be expected to be covering all these areas! The work will require some travel to service client needs nationally.
A good working knowledge of welfare applications under Mental Capacity Act 2005 will be a particular advantage.
- Good academics, i.e. 2:1 degree or equivalent and good A Level grades or equivalents.
- Excellent written English for drafting purposes list of more specific skills and experience that will be used for shortlisting purposes.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- A can do approach
- Attention to detail
- Excellent time and file management
- An ability to build relationships with clients, potential clients and witnesses
- Good research skills
- Evidence of negotiating skills
- Competent analytical skills, ability to work under pressure, flexibility and team working
- Appropriate interpersonal skills as this work involves many challenges to practitioners, who must be able to deal with a variety of people issues
- Current knowledge and understanding of:
- National Health Service - Duties of doctors and other clinical professionals
Why Should I Apply?
The Healthcare team forms part of the larger Regulatory, Public & Commercial Disputes national service line. The team currently consists of three partners, nine principal associates and seven senior associates / associates. This team provides healthcare law advice to a range of public and independent sector health clients.
This is a great opportunity to join a firm named for a record twentieth year running as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For, and is one of only a small number of organisations nationally to have achieved a listing for 20 years running, and the only UK law firm.
Who Will I Be working With?
Working under close supervision, you will have diverse and interesting work within this team, which is part of the wider cross office NSL with team members based in Birmingham, Cambridge, London and Manchester.
Please note that, in the event that we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to assess your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check and security clearance
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (to check for any previous criminal convictions and cautions) and, given the nature of the work-type, you may also be required to undergo national security vetting to SC level – the latter can be undertaken following commencement of employment.
Mills & Reeve is committed to building a diverse workforce and fostering an inclusive environment in which all our people can thrive. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our firm stronger, and we have a collaborative culture that celebrates different perspectives and values respect for one another, working together, and openness and integrity. Our approach to flexible working means that we work in a way that achieves the right balance for our people, our clients and for our business.
- Administrative Assistant - Oxford - Central ESS - Full Time
Job location: United Kingdom
Oxford permanent and full time Office based T...
- Legal Team PA - Corporate & Commercial (Cambridge)
Job location: Cambridge
The role Executive Assistant roles are based wi...
- Senior/Principal Associate - Transactional Construction - Oxford
Job location: United Kingdom
The role We are looking for a talented transac...