|Discipline:||Corporate & Commercial|
|Contact name:||Aimee Kelly|
|Contact phone:||0161 234 8727|
|Published:||5 months ago|
|Closing date:||16 December 2022|
|Startdate:||11 July 2022 - 11 July 2022|
What does the role involve?
This is an exciting opportunity to further your career working as part of a fast growing, friendly team in Manchester that delivers high quality work for an impressive list of clients across a range of sectors.
We are looking for a commercial solicitor capable of leading work on complex IT and data protection matters and comfortable supervising work of associates where appropriate.
The work will be varied in nature, including:
- leading the risk analysis and negotiations on private sector technology licensing arrangements and government sector outsourcing
- advising clients on complex data protection queries, for example relating to direct marketing strategies, international transfers of personal data, data protection impact assessments, data protection by design, including in the context of using SaaS, AI, blockchain, facial recognition and video surveillance
- supervising associates on commercial contract drafting, data protection documentation, and due diligence on IT, commercial and data protection
As part of the role, you will also have the opportunity to lead business development initiatives and to have your say in innovation at Mills & Reeve.
Clients that the team works with currently include: Central Government Departments, executive agencies and non-departmental public-bodies; Mid-market corporates; Fast growth technology businesses; Sports governing bodies; Higher Education providers; High profile charities; Health sector bodies (public and private).
Why should I apply?
The team has been growing strongly in Manchester reflecting the growth in demand for the expertise we offer, the opportunities offered to work on exciting cutting-edge projects, and a culture encouraging innovation within a supportive environment.
Work undertaken by the team includes work for Government clients, which offers an opportunity to get involved in high profile national projects, many of which are reported in the news.
The role offers the opportunity for career progression as the team continues to grow.
What experience is required?
You will have 5+ years post qualification experience gained in a large regional, national or international firm. You will have excellent technical skills in contract law and data protection law. You will be a commercially-minded lawyer, who is prepared to turn your hand to a wide range of work and interested in the development of more junior lawyers.
What skills and attributes would I need?
- Good academics
- Excellent written English and a keen eye for detail
- Ability to build relationships with clients, potential clients and multipliers
- Strong negotiating skills
- Self-starting, with common-sense and initiative
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills, including ability to work in line with the firm’s values of respect for each other, working together, strong client relationships, and openness
- Good research skills, including an ability to use online information sources
You will be able to demonstrate an:
- interest in IT and data protection law and how it impacts on relationships between organisations
- ability to ask the right questions about what clients are trying to achieve from their commercial relationships
- ability to understand the environment that clients work in and to deliver “advice that advises”, both orally and in writing
- ability to assimilate a lot of information quickly and focus on the key issues
You will have
- good time and file management skills to enable you to juggle lots of different matters
- flexibility to apply fundamental legal and commercial skills to a diverse range of contracts and arrangements
- dedication to providing outstanding client service
- ability to work under pressure
Who would I be working with?
You will be working primarily with our Commercial team members based in Manchester, led by partner Paul Knight, and including 3 Principal Associates, 1 Senior Associate, 4 Associates and soon to be joined by 1 NQ. You will be part of the wider cross office Corporate and Commercial National Service Line headed up by partner, Kevin Lowe.
What else should I know?
Mills & Reeve is a major UK law firm renowned for its outstanding service to national and international clients, for its collaborative culture and for its deep sector expertise. We have over 1000 staff, with seven offices in England. Our Manchester office is based in the exciting new Circle Square development next to the Manchester Technology Centre and in Manchester’s innovation district.
The firm has been named for a record 19th year running as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in the annual survey and is the only UK law firm to have achieved this. We are also delighted to have been named by RollonFriday as one of the top law firms in the UK for the fifth year running.
Please note that, if we make an offer of employment, we will conduct pre-employment screening that includes checks relating to your professional and academic qualifications, references from previous employers, your eligibility to work in the UK and any disciplinary history recorded with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). You will also be required to complete a self-declaration to assess your character and suitability.
Disclosure and barring service check and security clearance
This post is also subject to a satisfactory response from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (to check for any previous criminal convictions) and, given the nature of the work-type, you may also be required to undergo national security vetting to SC level – the latter can be undertaken following commencement of employment.
Mills & Reeve is committed to building a diverse workforce and fostering an inclusive environment in which all our people can thrive. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our firm stronger, and we have a collaborative culture that celebrates different perspectives and values respect for one another, working together, and openness and integrity. Our approach to flexible working means that we work in a way that achieves the right balance for our people, our clients and for our business.
- Legal Team PA - Corporate
Job location: Cambridge
The role This is a permanent full-time role wor...
- Executive Assistant - London
Job location: London
The Role Executive Assistant roles are based wi...
- Associate/Senior Associate - Corporate Immigration - National
Job location: United Kingdom
Associate/Senior Associate - Immigration Employ...